It all started when the first group met in the upper room of M. E. Wilson's General Merchandise Store on the southeast corner of 8th & Montrose Street in 1886. The people of Clermont and neighboring towns would hold weekly church services with occasional guest pastors, prayer, hymns, and discuss God's word. In January of 1891, 26 people became members of the Methodist faith and thus forming the Methodist Episcopal Church in Clermont.
In 1968, the Methodist Church and the Evangelical United Brethren Church united to form the United Methodist Church, thus changing our name to the First United Methodist Church of Clermont.
In 2023, our congregation voted to disaffiliate from the United Methodist Church. In April, we rebranded and propelled into
the future as Living Hope Church, a Wesleyan Community. Our name may have changed over the years, but our desire to spread and share the good news of Jesus Christ to the world has not.
- 1939 - Rev. Hancock began construction on the Hancock Building.
- 1954 - A Kindergarten was started in the church basement.
- 1961 - The first service was held in the Sanctuary in January.
- 1973 - Sunday School began in the newly built Education Building.
- 1991 - The church celebrated it's 100th Year Anniversary.
- 2000 - Current Senior Pastor Doug Kokx joined the church.
- 2009 - The Wesley Center was constructed.
- 2015 - Wesley Christian Academy was formed.
- 2023 - Rebranded to Living Hope Church.
We are just getting started!